The criteria for winning the award are:
- outstanding literary relevance,
- promotion of peace and national, cultural and religious tolerance,
- preserving linguistic and cultural heritage, and
- being socially conscious in character.
Eligibility and Submissions:
- Eligible are published works of Indian authors (residing in India or abroad) in novel, short stories, poetry and drama, originally written in any of Indian official languages and dialects, but translated to English.
- Entries must be in English (translated to or originally written in English).
- Works can be submitted in print or in electronic book format.
- Additional to the submitted work, a short biography of the author (and the translator) must be included. Entries submitted in electronic format must also contain the high resolution image of the book jacket or front and back cover of the print format.
- A book of poetry to be eligible must be the work of one author and should be at least 48 pages in length. Single poems, anthologies or volumes of selected works are not eligible.
- A book of short stories to be eligible must be the work of one author. Single short stories or anthologies are not eligible.
- Self translated works are eligible.
- Self published works are ineligible.
- In case of translation, amount is divided equally between the author and the translator.
- The authors that have previously won, or have been shortlisted for Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize, can be eligible again, for their different titles.
- Publishers, publicists and authors are welcome to suggest the entries.
- The number of entries is not restricted.
- The submission is free of charge.
- Our judging committee is responsible for selection and reading of eligible works and completing the shortlist of 10 books from which they choose the winner.
- The deadline for submissions for Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2020 was Monday 2nd March 2020.
For inquiries and mailing address for submissions of print copies, click here.
Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize is a legacy to Rabindranath Tagore, his outstanding contribution to Indian and international literature, as well as to the cultural, educational and humane ideas he pursued throughout his life.